WBC Logo

State Resources

Michigan.gov Online Services
If you ever considered starting a business, and you just don’t know where to start, you can find all you need to know from the Michigan.gov website. This website allows you to register your business and obtain all of the necessary permits and tax licenses to be a legal business entity in Michigan.

Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC)
Michigan is committed to your business success. From operating guidance to capital funding to technology assistance, these resources can help your business start-up become more than just an idea waiting to happen.

LARA - Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
The Corporations, Securities, and Commercial Licensing Bureau supports business growth and job creation while protecting the health, safety, and welfare of Michigan's citizens through a simple, fair, efficient, and transparent regulatory structure.

UIA - Unemployment Insurange Agency
The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) administers the unemployment insurance program in Michigan and offers two online services for employers. The first, eRegistration, can be utilized to register a business for an unemployment insurance account. The second, Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM), can be utilized to manage an unemployment account electronically and allows employers access to other automated services and functions within UIA.

Federal Resources

Small Business and Self Employed Tax Center
Download multiple small business and self-employed forms and publications. Find out more on EINs or apply for one online. Learn your options for e-filing Form 940, 941 or 944 for small businesses and more!

How To Get Your Credit Report:

The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that each of the three nationwide consumer reporting agencies - Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union - must provide you with a free copy of your credit report at least once every 12 months, at your request. This includes the information in your file and a list of everyone who has recently requested it.

Each of the three major reporting agencies keeps its own records that could differ slightly, so you will want to request a copy from each of them. The three agencies have set up one central website, toll-free phone number, and mailing address through which you can order your free annual credit report.

Visit their website

You are also entitled to a free copy of your credit report if someone has taken adverse action against you, such as denying your application for credit or denying you employment. In this instance, you must make a request for your report within 60 days of receiving the notice of the action. You are also entitled to one free report every 12 months if you are unemployed looking for work, are on welfare, or if your report is inaccurate due to fraud. To find out how to get your credit report from each agency, call or visit the following web address:

Trans Union



Online Tools

SBA Ascent

Association of Women’s Business Centers